WARSAW PUBLIC LIBRARY INTERNET USE POLICY
Board Reviewed/approved 9/6/2022
The mission of the Warsaw Public Library is to provide a welcoming destination that supports life-long learning for all ages. The library strives to be a place where the community has access to quality materials, engaging resources and enriching services. The library promotes the joy of reading and strives to foster the pursuit of knowledge to enrich the lives in our community. Providing the community access to the Internet can further that mission. Therefore, Warsaw Public Library has adopted this Internet Use Policy to establish guidelines and acceptable behavior for use of the library’s Internet.
The primary goals of Warsaw Public Library’s Internet is to:
- Provide the community with free use of the Internet
- Provide the community with current digital information
- Provide the community access to online resources, research and educational tools, and entertainment.
All community members are expected to follow the rules set forth by the Warsaw Public Library regarding use of the library’s Internet.
- Users cannot reserve a public access computer for Internet use. Computers are available on a walk-in basis based on the availability of equipment.
The library staff is trained to provide limited support.
- Users may not install any software or save any computer files on the computer hard drive.
- The Warsaw Public Library reserves the right to remove any file that has inadvertently ended up on the computer and restore the computer’s hard drive to its original configuration.
- No changes are to be made in any program setup or the hard drive configuration.
- Users are asked to immediately report any problems with equipment to library staff. Damage to Warsaw Public Library’s computer equipment caused by or resulting from inappropriate use or improper behavior may result in civil and/or criminal action being taken.
It is the policy of the library to comply with the Neighborhood Children’s Internet Protection Act (PL 106-554) by:
(a) preventing user access over its computer network to, or transmission of, inappropriate material via Internet, electronic mail, or other forms of direct electronic communications;
(b) preventing unauthorized access and other unlawful online activity;
(c) preventing unauthorized online disclosure, use or dissemination of personal information of minors.
Responsibility for monitoring a child’s access to library resources rests with the parents or legal guardians.
The Warsaw Public Library does not collect information about community members’ use of the Internet, including when the Internet was accessed and what content was accessed via the library’s Internet.
Warsaw Public Library is not responsible or liable for the content of postings by third parties accessed via the library’s Internet. Users should be aware that not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. The library denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained. The library urges patrons to be informed consumers and carefully evaluate information obtained via the Internet.
Ongoing Use Evaluation
The role of the Internet in relation to the mission of the Warsaw Public Library will be evaluated periodically by the Director and Board of Trustees and may be changed or modified at any time at the discretion of the Director as authorized by the Board of Trustees and in accordance with any local, state, or federal laws. Questions or concerns regarding Warsaw Public Library’s Internet Use Policy should be forwarded to the Director. Approved by the Warsaw Public Library Board of Trustees Dated 9/6/2022